OT: Laptop screen died

Don Russell fedora at drussell.dnsalias.com
Sun Jan 15 17:49:43 UTC 2006

Chris Wright wrote:

> Don Russell wrote:
>
>> I've been running FC4 on a Toshiba Satellite 1115-S103 laptop since
>> test 1, and FC3 before that. (Clean installs each time)
>>
>> The other day the screen (LCD in the lid) went dim, and can't be
>> read. The image is so dim it looks like it's "burned" onto the
>> screen. That's not the case, because when I shut the system down, the
>> screen turns off and it's all "dark".
>>
>> I can still use the machine remotely (via ssh).
>>
>> Does ths sound like a hardware problem, or is it possible that
>> there's a "power setting" that could cause the screen to dim?
>>
>> I've tried restarting the machine, but the screen is the same
>> dead/dim continuously...
>>
>> I was thinking of taking it in for repair.... but I'm also thinking
>> it will likely cost more than it's worth to fix...It's a few years
>> old, out of warranty.
>>
>> Anybody have any comments or suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Don
>>

> Don,
>
> Most people belive the LCD screen to be the component that provides
> the display.  In most (if not all cases), there is in fact a Lamp
> behind the  LCD panel that provides the light.
> This LCD screen then acts like a live large negative which the back
> light shines through.
> It sounds as if the backlight has failed.  When you boot the PC and
> the BIOS fires up, is the screen still dim?
> Some software can control the brightness of the display, but it would
> not be under control during the BIOS booting I would think.
>
> Replacing the Lamp can be quite easy in most cases, but then it could
> also be the control circuitry for it, in which case it gets expensive.
>
> Regards
>
> Chris

Yes... the screen starts dark, and remains very dim from power on....
so, it could be this backlight you mention...
I have it running on AC power.... the battery doesn't hold a charge for
very long...

Thanks for the tip...

To fix or not to fix. That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the
mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take
arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them.
(Apologies to Shakespeare)

This machine may be on its last legs... some keycaps tend to pop off if
you don't press the center of the key... it's relatively old... a few
months ago I put in a bigger hard disk... :-( so, it may be time to cut
my losses..."pull the plug" and let it go.  RIP.

Don