Setting up a multi-user programming environment

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 16 00:06:03 UTC 2006

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I have a college project coming up and I require the following: A multi user
> (programmer) environment run on Linux which would allow for headless use,
> c++ code management, allowing for code writing from Windows or Linux, and
> compiling and running of code on the same machine.
>
> I am familiar with C++ and Linux, but in a single user (me) way. I need to
> work on this project with 3 others.
>
> Please advise on what software I should/can use to accomplish this.

If you want to share code, consider subversion or CVS. Otherwise, you've
not revealed the need for anything more than a remote login capability
such as ssh provides.

If you want remote GUIs, look at VNC.

On Windows you might also need putty, which talks ssh.

Depending on what your project does, you might need test machines. Look
at vmware (commercial, wellregarded, long-established) and (xen, free,
comes with FC4, new but with some big names behind it) for virtual peecees.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait