xfs - gui - recent updates

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Mon Jan 16 17:09:03 UTC 2006

Dear List,

I have had two desktops that have had their gui stop working over the
weekend.  Both were E-Machines with ATI Mach64 video cards using
Princeton Ultra 72 and Ultra 74 monitors.  I have other E-Machines with
different cards using the same monitors that are still working.

These two machines functioned without problems until the following
updates occurred :  ( I can boot each to runlevel 3 without difficulty)

Jan 14 14:24:38 Updated: system-config-bind.noarch 4.0.0-38_FC4
Jan 14 14:24:41 Updated: flex.i386 2.5.4a-35.fc4

The above only represents one machine, because I rebuilt the os on the
other before I recognized it was not my mistake.  I currently do not
have bind running nor do I use flex on either machine.

Other observations that I have made include the X.org.0.log entry of:

Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

I have also noticed that the xfs daemon is not running and when I try to
start it manually I get a "Segmentation Fault" error.

Has anyone else reported problems related to these updates.  Can any of
you help me.

Thanks,

Greg Ennis