DVD camcorders and FC4, was Re: Problem copying VOB files.

J. K. Cliburn jcliburn at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 18:32:06 UTC 2006

Chris Gordon wrote:
> Not that I can answer your question, but I've found dvd::rip
> (http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/) quite useful for grabbing things off dvd
> (I have a camcorder that writes directly to DVD).

Chris,

If your dvd camcorder uses mini-dvds, have you gone about combining
video footage from multiple mini-dvds onto a single full-size dvd?  I've
recently been successful, but it's a rather kludgy process and I'm
wondering if there's a better/easier way.  dvdauthor really dislikes the
vobs produced by the camera itself, complaining before immediately
exiting that the system clock reference (SCR) encoded into the mpeg2
stream moves backwards.

Are you able to mount your dvd-cam directly with FC4 and extract images
prior to finalizing the dvd in the camera?  I can mount the camera, but
I've not yet been able to get at the unfinalized images on the camera's dvd.

I use a Sony DCR-DVD403.  Neither gphoto2 nor digikam have built-in
support for it yet.

Jay