Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Mon Jan 16 23:40:54 UTC 2006

Incorrect. See http://fedora.redhat.com/About/schedule/

>With FC 5, we have 3 test releases, which pushes the GA a little longer.
>I think the decision to have 3 test releases, and to have a longer life-
>cycle is wise. But I would rather see FC 3 being maintained a little
>longer. Maybe even until FC 5 test 3 is out.
>You can see it as the same policy: FC X is out when FC X+2 last test
>release is out.

Its not the same policy since Fedora Core always had three test releases
but you still had a relatively long maintenance cycle by the virtue of
Fedora Core 5 prolonged development cycle . To put this in perspective,

Fedora Core 2 was released in 18 May 2004 and went into legacy mode in
11th April 2005. Thats 11 months of updates from Fedora Core and ongoing
updates from Fedora Legacy which will probably run into nearly 2 years.
In comparison, Fedora Core 3 was release in 8 November 2004 and went
into legacy mode in 16th January 2006. Thats 1 year and 1 month of
updates from Fedora Core. Fedora Legacy now maintains Red Hat Linux 7.3,
9. Fedora Core 1, 2 and 3 and they have committed themselves to continue
maintaining Core 1 and subsequent releases as long as there is a
community interest in it. So get your hands dirty with the work required
in providing security and critical bug fixes if you care about these
releases now. You can do package maintenance, QA, documentation, site
maintenance etc.

--
Rahul