Network Manager drops wireless connections

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 17 03:01:47 UTC 2006

an unattributed author:
>> 1. wireless is inherently flaky. Even in close proximity to a WAP, I get
>> temporary dropoffs. Usually, NM will restore the connection within a few
>> minutes.
>>
>> 2. NM is beta, no? Still needs to be fine-tuned...

Chris Jones:
> While I agree, more or less, with both statements (although for me NM does not
> restore any connections) this is something new for me - For a long while
> everything worked just fine, no drop offs. Then, suddenly (of the order of
> since Christmas) I have started experiencing these. Nothing has changed on
> the wireless router side, so I am guessing something has on my system, since
> I update regularly. Also I am sitting real close to the router so wireless
> strength should not be a problem.

Since you mention Christmas, could one of your neighbours have bought
themselves some wireless gear, and you're getting some interaction
between yours and their systems?

If you turn off all off your wireless gear but the one receiver on the
PC you're testing, does it notice any other networks?

I read messages from the public lists.