Copy files from read only fs as writable

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 04:37:02 UTC 2006

Hey everyone,

Is there a way that I can make files from a read only file system copy
over as writable?  I have an NTFS partition (I think the same thing
happens with, say, a CD) mounted read only and whenever I copy files
over from it, they are given permissions that exclude the write bit.
This is mostly just annoying, but I was wondering if there was some
way to have it automatically set the user writable bit when copying it
over.  Preferably a mount option so that it just works.  Any ideas?

Jonathan