Copy files from read only fs as writable

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 17 05:28:20 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 22:37 -0600, Jonathan Berry wrote:

> Is there a way that I can make files from a read only file system copy
> over as writable?  I have an NTFS partition (I think the same thing
> happens with, say, a CD) mounted read only and whenever I copy files
> over from it, they are given permissions that exclude the write bit.

Hmm, I hadn't really noticed that before, but it does (I've not got NTFS
to test with, but just tried it from a CD-ROM).

> This is mostly just annoying, but I was wondering if there was some
> way to have it automatically set the user writable bit when copying it
> over.  Preferably a mount option so that it just works.  Any ideas?

I'd imagine it'd have to be mounted as writable to work in the manner
that you hope (I can never remember, for sure, if umask options in fstab
lets you clear or set permissions, I think it clears masked bits).  I
suppose you could make a script that did a copy then a chmod on files,
and use that instead of directly using the cp command.

I have a slightly different annoyance that I haven't resolved:  All
files on a CD are mounted as executable.  I don't want that, it brings
about problems.  If I only ever mounted ISO9660 discs I could change my
fstab configuration to resolve that (looking at what options are
available to me in the man file about this - mode presetting), but I
also mount UDF discs, and the option isn't compatible (for a single
fstab line mounting discs in either format, automatically).  Mounting
them no-exec doesn't help.

I read messages from the public lists.