Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 17 05:53:51 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

[snip]

> Fedora Core 2 was released in 18 May 2004 and went into legacy mode in
> 11th April 2005. Thats 11 months of updates from Fedora Core and ongoing
> updates from Fedora Legacy which will probably run into nearly 2 years.
> In comparison, Fedora Core 3 was release in 8 November 2004 and went
> into legacy mode in 16th January 2006. Thats 1 year and 1 month of
> updates from Fedora Core. Fedora Legacy now maintains Red Hat Linux 7.3,
> 9. Fedora Core 1, 2 and 3 and they have committed themselves to continue

I have seen this *discussed* on FC Legacy, but not *commitment* to FC1
in perpetuity.

> maintaining Core 1 and subsequent releases as long as there is a
> community interest in it. So get your hands dirty with the work required
> in providing security and critical bug fixes if you care about these
> releases now. You can do package maintenance, QA, documentation, site
> maintenance etc.

I believe that, in part, this is a matter of chosing the right tool
for the job. I was asked to install and use FC2 by a fellow who
wanted me to use Linux for a contract job for development of some
programs intended to run under Windows, SCO Unix, and Linux.

In retrospect, I would not have chosen FC for that, but rather
something like CentOS, given the lifetime of the development, and
the "churn" involved with the Fedora Core Project. If you really
need some stability and longer-term support, you probably should
not be using Fedora. This is not a criticism of the FC Project,
in any way, either. FC just isn't the place to go for a stable
long-term supported product. It is, as its name says, a PROJECT,
not a PRODUCT.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.