Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Tue Jan 17 06:03:25 UTC 2006

Mike McCarty wrote:

> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Fedora Core 2 was released in 18 May 2004 and went into legacy mode
>> in 11th April 2005. Thats 11 months of updates from Fedora Core and
>> ongoing updates from Fedora Legacy which will probably run into
>> nearly 2 years. In comparison, Fedora Core 3 was release in 8
>> November 2004 and went into legacy mode in 16th January 2006. Thats 1
>> year and 1 month of updates from Fedora Core. Fedora Legacy now
>> maintains Red Hat Linux 7.3, 9. Fedora Core 1, 2 and 3 and they have
>> committed themselves to continue
>

> I have seen this *discussed* on FC Legacy, but not *commitment* to FC1
> in perpetuity.

Nothing is perpetual as you reminded me a few days back. Fedora Legacy
project has made a commitment to continue providing updates to FC1 for now.

The nature of the project is defined at http://fedora.redhat.com/About/

>  FC just isn't the place to go for a stable
> long-term supported product. It is, as its name says, a PROJECT,
> not a PRODUCT.

As referred to before, The original FAQ still has a description on why
it is a project. Allow me quote it for you

"
*Q:* 	Why a project instead of a product?

*A:*

A global steering committee at Red Hat decided that Red Hat Linux was
suffering from too many compromises as a retail "product", and that we
should redirect our efforts at creating a community-based project.
Rather than being run through product management as something that has
to appear on retail shelves on a certain date, Fedora Core will be
released based on schedules, set by a steering committee, that will be
open and accessible to the community, as well as influenced by the
community.

"

--
Rahul