K3b sees 4.7GB DVD+R as 4.4 GB

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 17 08:04:02 UTC 2006

Kenny Gow wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 07:41 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
>>
>>> As has already been said by Peter, this is a marketing speak.
>>

>> No, not really.  It all stems from the ABSOLUTe MISUSE of kilo by the

No, not misuse. The proper term to use for this is "jargon".

>> computer fraternity.  Kilo means, and ONLY means, "one times ten to the
>> third power", i.e. "one thousand".  Likewise, Mega means, and ONLY
>> means, "one times ten to the sixth power", i.e. "one million".  Even if

[snip]

Next thing you'll be trying to force everybody to abandon the british
usage of billion. The fact that words take on different meanings in
different contexts is well-known. If someone were trying to use the
term "kilowatt" to mean "1024 watts", then I would agree with you
that it was a misuse of an SI term. But the "byte" is not a standard
unit. You claim to be a physicist? Then you really ought to abandon
the use of the term "field", as used by physicists, because it
conflicts with the common definition.

Please, allow each group its own jargon.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.