Creating hardlinks for directories.

Vikram Goyal vikigoyal at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 09:45:45 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 10:11:32PM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 05:50, Vikram Goyal wrote:
>
> > The big problem with it is that it's very difficult to configure and one
> > has to tweak it's nose, ear, tail etc everytime something outof default
> > from one's setup crops up. So I started configuring it through scripts
> > which would scan the mailbox and configure it before starting. Then I
> > thought others may take the benefit from the scripts, so I wrote them
> > for general usage and inbetween I inserted a bit of code which would
> > create a pseudo mailfolder which could be used by evolution to read the
> > same mails. Till now evolution was behaving sanely and creating it's
> > index files in the pseudo folder but recently its coder went ahead and
> > changed code where it would follow the symlink even when told explictly
> > that pseudo mailfolder is the folder of the mails. I think this is bad
> > practise and destroys the concept soft linking and sane programming.
> > Anyways the only solution which I think out of this is:
>
> What happens if you push it down a directory level so the progams
> always work in a real directory under the symlinked one?

The only work around I can think of is to create real dirs for maildirs
and create symlinks to new, cur, tmp dirs under it and hardlink the
mailboxes.

Thanks again to all for helping me to sort it out.
--
vikram...
--
	The judge fined the jaywalker fifty dollars and told him if he was
caught again, he would be thrown in jail.  Fine today, cooler tomorrow.