Copy files from read only fs as writable

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Tue Jan 17 14:01:54 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> John Summerfied:
>
>>If the CD is created with rock ridge extensions, the permissions will be
>>correct (that's what the extensions are for).
>

> Though, I see all files on a CD being executable, including those which
> were put onto a CD that weren't originally executable.  Not to mention
> discs burnt elsewhere where you don't have any idea of their origins.

If you create the iso image using -R instead of the
(usual) -r option to mkisofs, you would keep all information
(permission, owner, etc.):

$ ls -l /misc/dvd/folder1
total 0
-------rwx  1 mk itgroup 0 Jan 17 14:49 007
----rwx---  1 mk itgroup 0 Jan 17 14:49 070
-rwx------  1 mk itgroup 0 Jan 17 14:49 700

However, you risk making a cd that other's can't
read unless they have root permissions.

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk