Flat panel display

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Tue Jan 17 16:48:05 UTC 2006

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:03:10 -0800, Richard England wrote:

> Bill R. Williams wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:20:13 +0000 Geoffrey Leach said:
>>
>>> I'd appreciate any experience the list might be able to offer with
>>> X11-friendly flat panel displays.
[....]

> I've got 2 Viewsonic V710 17" and a Viewsonic VA550 15" that all seemed to
> work "out of the box".

Interesting. Among the flat panels available in my local shop, when my
previous flat panel (a BenQ FP767) suddenly went dead, only one was listed
in the canned hardware under Main Menu > Desktop > System Settings >
Display. (It's not a big shop, alas!)

That one is a ViewSonic VG910B.

I've done my level best to configure three FC4 machines behind a KVM
switch (each separately, connected directly to monitor, mouse, and
keyboard); fortunately, my main machine (an ASUS with a Maxtor hard drive)
handles it fine -- but I've barely ever managed to get either of the old
Pentium 2 machines even usable, and never both at once.

The VG910b (You might know it'd've been the most expensive in the place.)
is a nice, clear, sharp, big monitor when it works; but if you'll have to
configure an old machine to it, you better make sure you  can try first,
and take it back if you don't succeed.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Neo-Redneck Linux Enthusiast
A wanderstaff like an Elvish rope should be long,