OT(?) FC2 Very slow printing to HP DeskJet 870Cse

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 17 17:08:22 UTC 2006

Mogens Kjaer wrote:

Thanks for the help.

> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>> It ran 0.7% to 1.3% (max, not often hit) during a test print.
>> That is CPU utilization. So I don't think it is CPU limited.
>

> On FC4, one can create a custom device (instead of /dev/lp0),

I'm sorry, but I'm not an experienced UNIX admin. I'd need more
information about how to run MAKEDEV. Oh, and I run FC2, not FC4.

> and send the output to /tmp/printer.out (create this file first,
> with 777 permission). Try this, and see how long it takes to print
> to the file.

Umm, it took not any time at all to create a one line text file.
I'm experiencing the problem even with a file with only 16
ASCII characters in it.

> Try to copy the file to /dev/lp0 and see how long that takes.

Ok, I tried this file...

$ ls -l test.txt
-rw-rw-r--  1 jmccarty jmccarty 17 Jan 17 03:47 test.txt

$ cat test.txt
This is a sheet.

The "data transfer" light on the printer started to flash immediately,
and after 16 seconds, the printer grabbed a sheet and printed the line
instantly. It LOOKED like it might have been downloading the font,
perhaps. It certainly used a different font from the one that
lpr used.

But, I did this... I printed a one-page thing from Mozilla to a file
in my home directory, and got mozilla.ps

$ ls -l ~/*.ps
-rw-rw-r--  1 jmccarty jmccarty 504768 Jan 17 11:02 home/jmccarty/mozilla.ps

Creation of that file was essentially instantaneous. Copying it to
/dev/lp0 caused the printer to spit out one page with the PostScript
header on it, and the error light to flash. Pressing resume caused
the printer to spit out one blank sheet, and then think it was
through.

Thanks again for the help.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.