Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Rickey Moore wayward4now at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 16:41:20 UTC 2006

Friends,

I understand up front that I'm getting a 'sorta'
RedHat product, which is always going to be cutting
edge, and the payback for RedHat is that as a static
group of development users, we use the latest and
greatest (and most prone to break) as 'beta testers'.

That's their payback for the effort, we get the
system, resources, services that we need for a
cohesive project. No monetary consideration is
involved on either side. If one is profiting
dollarwise by the use of Fedora, and wish for
stability, support, development, etc. then the deal
becomes sorta one-sided, (I make money, you kiss my
ass) less than mutually beneficial, as it seems from
some posts that require RedHat Fedora to stop in time
and maintain for their monetary interests.

People usually pay for that. RedHat Enterprise is all
about Rock-Solid, plenty of caution when it comes to
updating the distro, everything lacking surprises.

Fedora is about landing gear up, your seatbelt
fastened, seatback and tray in the upright and locked
position. General Ripper would be happy as a clam. ("
-a big bird like a B-52, flying close to the ground,
-- WHOOOSH!")

That's what I understood when I installed Fedora. I
see it as RedHat attracting willing cutting edge users
to their development team, (for free) in exchange for
the latest toys to test, and a sense of community for
users who are willing to do this for them (RedHat) and
themselves (us, the recipients who are in Gift-Debt to
RedHat for this <ahem> opportunity) and, ultimately,
be of mutual benefit. If stuff blows up, it'll blow up
on us first, and not the paying customers. That is
properly assertive, as we accepted that deal,
possessing true consent as adults, and compromise is
certainly an on-going goal (..you can blow us up a
little, just not ALOT!).

But, to suggest that RedHat suitcase this deal that we
are "gifted" with, and do it "my way or the highway"
is aggressive. Not good, according to my perspectives.
If anything, it just antagonizes our benefactor, who
really doesn't have to do this at all. What's with
that? Again, not good, according to my perspectives.

That's my two-cents, my story and I'm sticking to it,
your Honor!  I'll accept a jury trial. I hope we come
to a concensus, here. Ric