FC4 as business-class router

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Jan 17 20:36:47 UTC 2006

Aaron O'Hara wrote:
> I have a client who has an office of 100 users who mostly use the
> network to access the Internet.  The number of users is expected to grow
> 30% each year and they want to add VPN functionality.  Their current
> router (Linksys) keeps requiring to be reset and I think it's time they
> upgrade to a business-class router, akin to the Cisco 1841 or something
> from SonicWall.
>
> After looking that the prices for these appliances, I was wondering if a
> PC-based router running FC4 (or similar, like CentOS) would be just as
> good/better/worse than the appliance?

For a firewall/router, I think you need something with a long support life.

You could look at ipcop that's built for the purpose, and can run from CF.

If you prefer to build your own (and as you're asking, maybe you
shouldn't;-)), I recommend Debian:

Its support life is legendary: they've been taking years to get new
release out, so Woody, which dates back to the 2.4.18 kernel, remains
supported, with only one release since then.

Debian has an enormous array of packages available.

> My fear with a PC based router is that there are more chances for
> hardware failure given the increased number of parts.  Do people on this
> list have experience running PC-based routers serving 100-200 users for
> shared Internet and VPN?

I've only uses SOHO-sized networks. However, PCs live forever, I've
still got a functional Pentium 133 (think back to '94) here someplace,
though I don't use it any more, and several Pentium IIs pre 2000.

btw Probably, the Linksys runs Linux: my wireless router does, and there
are alternative firmwares for it.

--

Cheers
John