old-school

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 17 20:51:39 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> Ian Malone wrote:
>
>> I recently ran NetworkManager to see if it would be any use to me (my
>> wireless network uses WPA and my card needs iwpriv commands for it, so
>> at the minute I use a hack in ifup-wireless).  It did something funny
>> which meant I had to point resolv.conf at my router to get DNS working
>> again, does anyone know what resolv.conf is 'normally' (when just
>> using if-up and if-down)?
>

> Something like the following:
>
> search your-own-domain-name
> nameserver 192.168.1.2
> nameserver 192.168.1.4
> nameserver 192.168.1.1
>
> Where "your-own-domain-name" is replaced by your own domain name.  The
> "search" keyword could be "domain", instead.  They do similar functions,
> but are mutually exclusive.
>
> The nameserver lines list any and all DNS servers that you use.
>
> If you don't want your interfaces going on- and off-line from changing
> your resolve configuration (e.g. because you always use the same
> details), then reconfigure their network configurations not to peer DNS.
>
> (I think that's the right one to adjust.  Read the manuals to be sure.)

Sorry, forget to get round to responding for a while.
Okay, this is pretty much what I did, except I only added 192.168.1.1
(which is the router and does DNS).  The .2 and .4 IPs were in a backup
file I'd tried but didn't work so I left them out.  I was just a little
perplexed that it had worked previously and suddenly needed to be
configured by hand.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

--
imalone