resolution

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Jan 17 20:54:08 UTC 2006

John Summerfied wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
>

>> Simplest solution is to add entries for the machines you want to
>> connect to in /etc/hosts
>

> Never do this where DHCP is involved.

It depends on the network. I have done it on networks connected to a
home-grade firewall/router, for IP addresses that are not in the
DHCP range. One that I use ofter is the IP address of the firewall
itself. This lets me use firewall in place of 192.168.1.1. I know
that if I change the IP range used, it will break things. but this
will also break other things on the network as well. I have things
like a print server that need a static IP address.

Mikkel