Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Jan 17 21:34:19 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 00:56, John Summerfied wrote:
>

>>Jo and I (and a lot of others) switched from RH back when RH announced
>>its changed arrangements, and the commencement of the Fedora project
>>because neither RH not FC provided what we wanted.
>>
>>We've dabbled in others including Debian, Ubuntu, SUSE,
>>Mandrake/Mandribble and some others.
>>
>>I currently run Debian/Woody, Debian/Sarge, Ubuntu, FC3, SUSE 10 and
>>WBEL, so I know what the major alternatives are,
>

> If you want a free long-supported, very-much-FC3-like distribution,
> look at Centos4.x.  The only substantial difference is having
> mysql 4.x and dropping some kernel modules (which an optional
> kernel rebuild adds back).

I am using WBEL on my server, where longevity is important.

I'd not use FC (haven't you seen me describe it as a rolling beta?) on
anything _that_ important.

I don't have a particular attachment to FC3, it just happens to be the
one that's been retired right now. I didn't use prior FCs and so wasn't
affected when they retired.

Retirement plans for other software are based on some period of time
_after_ the release of a subsequent (eg second, third) release, not
_before_.

The current policy of retiring an FC release immediately _before_ the
release of the second subsequent release seems completely bizarre to me.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait