Cups Problems

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Jan 17 21:52:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 01:21:15PM -0800, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 08:59 -0600, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
>

> > I agree with the raw suggestion but starting with the first posting in
> > this thread let me comment that you should not use
> > system-config-printer to configure any printer under cups.
>
> Why not?
> Always works well for me - be it network or locally connected.
> If it has a problem, it should be bugzilla'd. Otherwise it won't get
> fixed.
>
> --
Well there are two main problems which I have not researched enough to
fully explain:
1. system-config-printer does not have access to the updated drivers
installed by HPLIP installation. For example, you can't use the
program to configure a HP Color Laser 3500.
2. The program is simply not designed to do the configuration of a
printing system with multiple print servers some of which have been
configured using the Cups web interface. You end up with multiple
definitions of the printers which can not be easily separated. It is a
mess. Sharing printers using system-config-printers is simply not
compatible with sharing printers using the web interface and the
client.conf file.

The two printer configuration systems are simply not compatible. They
really represent two different approaches to printer configuration as
far as I can see. I don't know where to start bugzilla-ing this.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484