Is this real or spam

Rickey Moore wayward4now at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 02:27:02 UTC 2006

--- Elliot Lee <sopwith at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
>
> > Does/Must substantial support always mean money?
>
> Not in general, but in this case I was writing, in
> the context of money,
> about IRS rules that define exactly what substantial
> support means. If you
> want more info, google for 'public support test
> irs'.

>From what I read, one contributor doesn't cut it with
the I.R.S. My friends at Good Work, Inc. set up their
non-profit keeping all of this first & foremost in
their minds. So a coupla of bucks to assist Fedora is
no biggie nor a deal maker/breaker for me.
> > What about those who have invested their time and
> efforts into testing,
> > using, et al, etc. ?
>
> They rock! I am not saying that people have to
> donate. It's ok to tell me  "go away and die" (like
someone actually did > in  response to my e-mail)  I
just need to understand what everyone
> thinks so I can represent your views  in discussions
with people such as > lawyers who do not read
fedora-list :)

Reasonable.
> > If it does mean money -- does Red Hat have the
> mnost to gain from the OS
> > public at large efforts?  Would Red Hat not be a
> substantial supporter?
> > I mean -- isn't the over all goal of the FC
> project to become a testing
> > ground for best of breed projects to make it into
> RHEL?
>
> Red Hat would be very likely to be a substantial
> supporter, and that is
> exactly the problem if the Fedora Foundation is a
> 501(c)(3). The IRS would
> not allow the FF to have 501(c)(3) status if all its
> donations were coming
> from one big contributor such as Red Hat.

Again, Elliot explained that in the post. Power and
Authority issues, regarding the powers-that-be.
Following the rules is a very good thing to do,
especially with the Feds. I know. I fought the law,
and the law won. <cackles> Ric