IMAP client (was: KDE vs Gnome)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 14:17:54 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 23:05, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> Now that Mulberry is no longer developed, any suggestions for a good
> alternative IMAP client? I like the 3-pane view but I'm not that big a fan
> of Thunderbird, as it displays all folders in the folder tree, not just
> those with new mail.

Evolution is the obvious one on Fedora.  And if you'd use the
mouse a bit more you'd find the folder display useful because
they provide a target to drag/drop from the message header
view.  You may want to add messages even if there is nothing
new.

> I'll probably continue using Mulberry for a long time (I can also use it on
> a Linux GUI) but I know that its issues will never be fixed, so I'd like to
> start looking for a replacement under active development, preferably
> cross-platform so I can use it at the office under Win32.
>
> Mulberry has almost as many knobs as Emacs, and I'd hate to give up most of
> them, so this is going to be a hard search.

Thunderbird is probably your best shot at identical programs for
windows/linux, but the most critical behavior for me is that
hitting 'delete' in the header display automatically moves
the selection to the next header and updates the message view
accordingly, and that meanwhile the mouse pointer can reside
in the message preview window and the mouse wheel used to
scroll without having to click the keyboard focus away from
the subject pane (so delete/arrow keys deal with whole messages
while the mouse wheel moves within one).  The last time I tried,
I couldn't get thunderbird to do that.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com