Slightly OT - rpm -bb problems

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed Jan 18 14:25:54 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>> I'm trying to build a nagios RPM from source, not on Fedora, but on
>> RHEL AS 2.1, but when I run 'rpm -bb nagios.spec' from the
>> /usr/src/redhat/SPECS directory it fails with a reply:
>>
>> nagios.spec: No such file or directory
>>

>> I don't think this is anything more than something I'm missing as far
>> as building the RPM goes.  Anybody have any ideas?  Is it because
>> it's RHEL and not Fedora?  Or is it something simple?
>
> It means you haven't put your spec file nagios.spec in the
> /usr/src/redhat/SPECS directory.
>
> Are you writing the spec yourself or using someone else's?
>
> Is RHEL 2.1 so old that it still uses "rpm" rather than "rpmbuild" for
> package-building btw?
>
> Paul.

The spec file is one from DAG's repository for nagios.  There's not a
latest binary for nagios built for RHEL 2.1.  When I ran rpmbuild I get
a 'command not found' error.  The spec file is in the correct location,
could it be I need the RPM devel package?

--
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415