Computer name suddenly changed

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Wed Jan 18 14:55:18 UTC 2006

At 13:36 18/01/2006, you wrote:

>I rebooted my FC4 yesterday and found out that my computer name
>changed from what it was before "quorpus" to "dhcp-3985-428" so when
>I log in have
>
>root at dhcp-3985-428
>
>I haven t made any changes
>
>any suggestions to change the name and to prevent this happend again?

I'm not the world's greatest expert on this, but are you by any
chance connecting directly to a modem or ADSL box etc. without any
sort of router in between your computer and the Internet?

I had a problem something like this until I bought a router to plug
in between the computer(s) and the cable modem. The problem is that
the settings returned by the DHCP server at your ISP can change,
which might be what is happening here. In my case it resulted in my
printer suddenly not working.

If you are connecting your computer using ethernet which is always
best to some sort of broadband connection, my advice is to get a
little router to put in between yourself and the Internet. The router
will have a built in DHCP server which is under your control and
therefore will not change unexpectedly, and also has other nice
features such as NAT which does a pretty good job of hiding you from
potential intruders.

If you are using a conventional modem with an ordinary analogue phone
line then I'm sorry I don't know what to suggest.

>Thanks

Di nada!

Dave Fletcher