Newby Question FC4

Randy Grimshaw rgrimsha at syr.edu
Wed Jan 18 18:44:13 UTC 2006

<><Randall Grimshaw
Room 203 Machinery Hall
Syracuse University
Syracuse, NY   13244
315-443-5779
rgrimsha at syr.edu

>>> rengland at europa.com 1/18/2006 1:31:50 PM >>>
> chalonec wrote:
>> I have installed FC4 and am looking for a command line way to search all
>> files in all directories and sub-directories on a disk for files that
>> contain a certain text string such as the word gateway or mode or any
>> word.

here is my trick:
du -a {path} | grep {word}

I generally store the results so that future searches are very fast - like this:
mkdir /usr/local/where
du -a / > /usr/local/where/was.txt

and create a shell script that does the grep

echo "grep $1 /usr/local/where/was.txt" > /usr/local/bin/ww
chmod +x /usr/local/bin/ww

so now I just have to do
ww {word}

such as
ww tgz$

it is also handy after a package install by storing the results to a different name, diff the old and new files, grep -v proc to remove the noise. In this way you can get a rough sense of changes made to your system.

<><Randy