Private Mirror/Repository

alan alan at clueserver.org
Wed Jan 18 23:12:28 UTC 2006

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Charles Curley wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 04:16:10PM +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > Jonathan Allen wrote:
> > >Hi there !
> > >
> > >A client has a number of machines on their internal LAN, all running FC4.
> > >To keep them all up2date takes quite a lot time and bandwidth because
> > >even at 512M broadband speeds the stuff has to be downloaded for all
> > >the machines on the network.  Could I set them up with their firewall
> > >machine holding a mirror of the Fedora Core and Extras repositories and
> > >have all the network machines point to the firewall for repositories ?
> > >
> > >Any pointers to doing this and gotchas to beware of would be welcome ...
> >
> > Try:
> > http://www.tqmcube.com/repo.htm
>
> Nice, but for base, this howto requires extracting the files from the
> ISOs. My techinique is a bit more involved (you set up a CD server)
> but that cuts your disk usage for base in half (unless you discard the
> ISOs, which I recommend against. http://www.charlescurley.com/yum.html
>

> > For FC3 or later, you'd be editing .repo files from /etc/yum.repos.d
> > rather than /etc/yum.conf but the basic procedure is as described
> > there.
>
> And on mine. Hmmm, time to update mine. :-)

One of the methods I used for Mac OS X updates was to use squid as a proxy
with a big monster cache.  Every time it went to look for the files, if it
already existed it would pull the copy from the proxy, not from the net.
First one to look for the file pulled it down for everyone else to use.

Or you can just use rsync and have an internal yum server.

--
"George W. Bush -- Bringing back the Sixties one Nixon at a time."