Private Mirror/Repository

John Pierce john.j35 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 00:24:07 UTC 2006

Hello!

I have 5 machine on the local net, one is a file server.  I have an
nfs export of one of my partitions.  I have all of my downloads stored
on this partition and my config files use that as the repository
holder.

/dev/hdb1 is an xfs file system mounted on /prtdata

/prtdata is exported by nfs and all other machines mount it on /prtdata.

/prtdata has the following directories

/prtdata/fc4yum
/prtdata/yum.repos.d

/prtdata has the following file

/prtdata/yum.conf

Below is the contents of /prtdata/yum.conf

[main]
cachedir=/prtdata/fc4yum
reposdir=/prtdata/yum.repos.d
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
retries=20
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d

Pay special attention to the cachedir and reposdir as they are
pointing to /prtdata.

Below is a simple one line bash script that I have in all of my
/usr/bin directories on every machine.

#!/bin/bash
#
#
# A simple script to use yum with a non-standard configuration.
#
sudo yum -c /prtdata/yum.conf update $1

Note: I have prefaced the command with a sudo, I do not normally
become root to do anything.  I simply use sudo.  Also, the $1 would be
expanded if present, just incase I only want to update a specific
package.

Good luck!

John Pierce
--
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at
http://counter.li.org