'GPL encumbrance problems'

David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) dave at davenjudy.org
Thu Jan 19 00:47:56 UTC 2006

and also wrote:

>On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 07:33 -0700, David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud)
>wrote:

>>> The point of the goose/gander paragraph is simply linking to someone
>>> else's code does *not* contaminate your code with their license.  Lots
>>> of talk and FUD about this but linking doesn't foist a license since the
>>> headers and interface (which aren't protectable elements) are all that
>>> is copied.  Just because you program uses a GPL library *does not*
>>> contaminate it.  As an example, I somehow doubt that an Oracle
>>> implementation running on Linux makes no use of GPLed library or system
>>> calls.  Same for VMware and lots of other proprietary software that runs
>>> on a Linux platform.
>>

>Linking is a "technical" term and is not of importance for the license,
>the more legal term is "deriving". If your work is derived from GPL work
>you have to put your work under the GPL (or compatible license).
>
>For Oracle running on Linux, I would love to know what GPL libraries
>they use? I bet the don't use any GPL library, they will use LGPL
>libraries like the C-Library. The same with VMWare, I believe their GUI
>is now GTK based, and GTK is licensed under the LGPL.
>
>For the Linux kernel, the copyright holder clearly stated that running
>programs in userspace on top of the OS does not count as "deriving", and
>hence those programs do not have to be GPLed simply because they can run
>on Linux.
>

>>> Again, IANAL, but I find the argument that the library somehow gets
>>> "included" in the program to be totally bogus as long as said library is
>>> a shared object that is still normally distributed.  This argument might
>>> be made for static libraries or if you literally copy and compile the
>>> code but that's a different animal.
>>

>Once again you are mixing up "linking" and "deriving". The fact that a
>library is a shared object or "source included" does not change the fact
>that your product is derived from that library code or not. A good
>indication seems to be if your program would also function without the
>GPL library, and i bet it will not.
>
>The easiest way out is "if you don't like it, don't use it", it really
>is that simple.
>
>- Erwin

Sorry, but not from the perspective of copyright law (which is all that
matters).  Copyright law does not recognize including a library as
making the including work a derived version.  Lots of case law
establishing this so don't argue with me about whether its right or
wrong.  If you want it to work differently work to change the law but be
careful about it since there are lots of other folks like Microsoft and
SCO that would also like to be able to impose a license on anyone who
writes code for their systems.

The only way copyright law recognizes a derived work is if someone
*modifies* the copyrighted work of another.  Thus, if I modify a GPLed
library for my own purposes and distribute a program that includes the
modified GPLed code, I am bound by the terms of the GPL for my modified
library.  If I write some software that works with an established
interface and someone happens to run a copy of my program on a system
where the functionality implementing that interface happens to be GPLed
code, I am under no obligation to suddenly GPL my program.  More
specifically, I may write some code that will compile on Solaris, HP-UX
and Linux and use a variety of run-time libraries that are common to
*nix systems, why because this program also happens to compile on Linux
would I be obligated to GPL my code?

Cheers,
Dave