'GPL encumbrance problems'

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Thu Jan 19 01:38:44 UTC 2006

> My
> complaint is as an end user, not being able to have certain
> things in addition to the GPL'd parts for the incremental cost
> of adding them.  Or more realistically, being forced to use
> Windows or OSX for many tasks because the functionality can't
> legally be added to Linux.  I realize that the choices have
> already been made - I just don't understand why anyone else
> thinks it is a good thing.

Perhaps this is simply a matter of society being used to doing business
in one particular way, and not able to fathom that there may actually be
a better alternative.

Now, I understand that "better" is subjective.  But, again, it's just a
matter of not having tried anything else.  Nothing remains the same
forever, no matter how hard someone may try to keep it that way.

For the record, I like the GPL and everything it represents.

That's about all I'll say on this subject.

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu