Private Mirror/Repository

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Thu Jan 19 08:13:49 UTC 2006

On Thursday 19 January 2006 02:55, Guido Leisker wrote:
> >Hi there !
> >
> >A client has a number of machines on their internal LAN, all running FC4.
> >To keep them all up2date takes quite a lot time and bandwidth because
> >even at 512M broadband speeds the stuff has to be downloaded for all
> >the machines on the network.  Could I set them up with their firewall
> >machine holding a mirror of the Fedora Core and Extras repositories and
> >have all the network machines point to the firewall for repositories ?
> >
> >Any pointers to doing this and gotchas to beware of would be welcome ...
We're running such a setup. Basically we mirror the fedora site and then
create our own yum repository from there. All clients have their own yum
configurations to point to our repository rather than the official mirror
list.
You can find some good info at
http://servers.linux.com/article.pl?sid=04/07/22/1718242&tid=42
But any google search for "running your own yum repository" will yield quite a
few results.

> Isn't that a typical use for proxies? The proxyserver will cache the
> packages and after the first download all packages will be downloaded
> from the caching proxy with high speed and without using our internet
> bandwidth.
Not quite. Most proxies refuse to cache larger packages (that can be tweaked)
and they don't give you control over what is cached - you can't set up a
proxy to automatically download things at 2am so that everything is ready for
your daily updates when you get into the office in the morning.

Peter.