Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 09:32:29 UTC 2006

On 1/17/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 16:55, John Summerfied wrote:
>
> > I'm content to move to FC5, but it's not even released yet, and that is
> > the point of the argument.
>
> The point is that you are supposed to be testing the test releases,
> otherwise they don't accomplish anything.

This is completely disingenuous.  If the only "point" is to do nothing
other than test "testing" versions, then there is no "point" to having
a "release" version.  The test releases *do* accomplish something,
they are tested by those people interested in *testing* them.  That's
not everyone (in fact, it's a very small minority).  The full release
versions are for "everyone else" (that's FC1, FC2, FC3, and FC3, note
the lack of -test suffix).  If it weren't for the users of release
versions, all your development efforts and testing are nothing more
than mental masturbation.  The "point" is to get a released product
into the hands of end users wanting to get work done with it.

Personally, I don't have any issues with using Fedora Legacy, and I
frankly don't see why anyone else does, either. The people putting
updates together for Fedora Legacy aren't somehow "substandard"
compared to those putting updates into "supported" releases of Feodra
Core.  However, I do see it as entirely appropriate to keep 2 trees
supported.

This overlap, in fact, occurs right up until -test2 of a new release
is sent out the door.  What conditions change at the release of -test2
that makes continuing that support through the release of the final
version untenable?  I don't think there *are* any conditions that make
it untenable other than a drive to move people forward.  Well, that
drive is statisfied by moving FC3 into Legacy the day FC5 is released,
rather than the day FC5-test2 is released.

People are playing theorycraft here with regards to why the Project
has this policy.  I'd like some actual word from the people that made
the decision.

"We do it this way because . . ."

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."