OFF LIST:Re: 'GPL encumbrance problems'

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 19 12:35:54 UTC 2006

From: "Christofer C. Bell" <christofer.c.bell at gmail.com>

>> Nor is it likely to change the minds of college kids who live off their
>> parents, and think [L]GPL is a Good Thing(tm).
>
> Because there is no need to change *their* minds.  It's *your* mind
> that's full of Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt, and it's all based on
> misinformation and what I can only surmise is sheer pigheadedness.
> Great way to insult everyone on the list in your parting shot, by the
> way.  Pity your private "OFF LIST" message actually ended up on the
> list.
>
> As for my "college kid" mind that thinks the "[L]GPL is a Good
> Thing(tm)", it's not set foot on a college campus in over 10 years.  I
> make my living off people that think cellular phones are a pretty neat
> idea.

A callow youth ye be young fellow. Now, I will admit to setting foot on
a college campus in recent decades. However, that was to visit a friend
who runs the costume shop at the local JC. I've not been in a college
classroom for "decades". Richard Stallman is also a callow youth from
my vantage point.

I understand his ideal. I understand his not giving a damn if anybody can
earn a living via programming. And I understand he intends to wipe out
software copyright and any protections the creator of a body of software
might have to the fruits of her work. I still say, "Scroom." I am a
phylthy capitalist moneygrubber. When I work I feel I should get paid
for it. I'm not trying to get rich. I'm trying to stay fed without taking
a side job driving a taxi or serving fast food. Take away Stallman's
income from FSF and the like and see how quickly he changes his ideals.
It must be nice to get paid for doing nothing.

{^_^}