Boot cd

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jan 19 12:01:20 UTC 2006

Tim:
>> Why do people do this?

Anne Wilson:
> Because it is the first time they have encountered an ISO image.  Very
> many people make the mistake of copying the image to a disk, first time
> around.  Someone has to explain what it is, and how it's handled
> differently - just once - and the problem disappears.  Everybody starts
> somewhere.

I can understand burning the ISO as a file to a disc, as a mistake.  But
considering the steps that you go though to get your hands on an ISO
(reading pages, finding the ISO, working out which one you should get,
etc.), do they really miss something saying burn a disc from this image
file?

Should the top of the Fedora page listing the ISO files say, "these are
'image' files, burn a disc from them, don't unpack the contents and copy
them to a disc"?  Could it be made damn-fool-proof?  ;-)

Though, to be fair, I've seen a couple of Windows CD-burning
applications that give you no option to burn from an image, and a few
that hide the ability.

I read messages from the public lists.