How to reinstall windows xp

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 19 15:07:10 UTC 2006

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Paul F. Johnson wrote:
>

>>XP and stable are another pair I rarely see
>>
>>XP and reliable - not usually
>

> What exactly does "stable" mean?
> In my experience _all_ operating systems nowadays
> are completely stable,
> in the sense that they never crash.

Eh? I run Fedora Core 2, and it sometimes crashes.
You may prefer to call them "hangs".
Perhaps you limit "crash" to mean "kernel panic".

> I don't recall Fedora or Windows XP crashing at all in my case
> for at least a year.
> (Individual programs die on both systems -
> eg KNode quite often bombs out - maybe once a week -
> but it does this very nicely, and doesn't cause any problems.)
>
> The main problem I have with Windows XP is viruses.
>
> I don't really have any major problems with Fedora,
> except that my grand-daughter cannot run Sims-2 under it.
>
> I think the advice often given by Linux fanatics to dump Windows
> is very foolish.
> A dual boot system is sometimes a life-saver,
> eg in determining if a problem is in software or hardware.

I'll second that. My system is dual-boot WinXP and Linux.

It also helps a lot to have the latest KNOPPIX disc lying
around.

Extra boot options don't hurt, they help.

This reminds me, it's time to do another backup...

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.