'GPL encumbrance problems'

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jan 19 16:24:49 UTC 2006

Mike McCarty:
>>> One issue with this is in deployment in concert with development.
>>> Let's say that a company is going to build a new device, and wants
>>> to put an OS on an embedded computer, and develop some applications
>>> to run on it. This company does not want to divulge its trade
>>> secrets to the whole world for copying. Special techniques which
>>> may, for example, allow a cell phone to use lower power and still
>>> achieve good range, hence not cooking your brain.

Tim:
>> Do you really think that competitors can't do that without access to the
>> source code?  Taking that example as a case in point, spectrum analysers

Mike McCarty:
> Are you arguing with me, or with the large corporate lawyers?

Against the point of view that source code, in itself, is a deadly
secret.  Against the idea that you can't sell a product without its
workings being secret.  Against the idea that you can keep its workings
secret.  And against the idea that suddenly you're out of business if
someone else discovers how it works.

I read messages from the public lists.