Boot cd

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jan 19 16:15:28 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> [...]

Mike McCarty:
>>> Well, use of language like this is part of what causes the confusion.
>>> One does not "unpack" an ISO, because an ISO is not a "packed file".
>>> It is a file system. One can mount it, but not "unpack" or "extract".
>>> These words should properly only be used with .tar, .arc, .zip, .rar,
>>> .lzh, .gz, etc. files. Not with .iso.

Tim:
>> Well to be really pedantic, unpacking doesn't *have* to refer to

Mike McCarty:
> I wasn't being pedantic. I pointed out that the use of language
> like that was confusing and inappropriate. This is practical and
> pragmatic.  I emphatically did not insist that anyone stop using
> that term, did I?

You *were* being pedantic ("one does not unpack an ISO because...")

> Anyway, I have never used terms like "unpack" with regards to
> an ISO image, or even anything like an ISO image, like a floppy
> disc image, for example, which I have been making and using for
> quite a number of years.

So what?  Just because *you* don't use the term, doesn't mean that it's
incorrect.  To anyone who looks at one big file that contains lots of
other files, getting one file out of the overall package *is* unpacking
it.

It's perfectly feasible to do such an action, just try opening an ISO
file in the "archive manager" and "extract" a file from the ISO images
file.

>> And taking a rather obtuse, but not totally incorrect point of view; if
>> I make an ISO file of a CD-ROM, to back up somewhere else, I *have*
>> "archived" it.  I might well want to extract one file from an ISO, and I
>> have actually done that on one or two occasions.

> I was careful not to use the word "archive", and yet you act as
> if I did.

You gave a great big long list of archive types.  You're being pedantic
again that you didn't use the word archive, though you certainly did
talk about archives.

Stop playing this "I didn't say that" game on here, it's getting really
tired.

I read messages from the public lists.