YumEx problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Jan 19 19:44:30 UTC 2006

On Thursday 19 Jan 2006 17:45, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Thursday 19 January 2006 10:44 am, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> > 1. Try installing the latest yumex devel from fedora-Extras.
> > (You will need to install yum 2.5.x from development)
> >
> > 2. Disable 'Filelist & Changelog' from preferences
> >
> > 3. Enable 'Best' Mirror detection in preferences.
> >
> > 4. Enable 'Debug Mode' in Preferences to get more output.
> >
> > Tim
>
> Tim:
>
> Allow me to jump back in: I tried your suggestions, and they have
> made a big difference. In fact, on several tests just now, Yumex was
> much faster than KYum.

I haven't tried KYum, but I found that just disabling the Filelist &
Changelog has made a tremendous difference.  It took less than 3
minutes to get to the stage that I had achieved in 18 minutes before!

> A feature request: I know this is not the necessarily right place,
> but maybe others will have a comment. The thing I really liked about
> Synaptic's interface was that you could list all in one window -
> packages that were available, installed, and upgradeable, could all
> be seen in the one window. That makes all kinds of things easier
> and/or possible.
>
> Far as I know, there is no "Remove" function in Yumex - correct me if
> I'm wrong...

It's there in the sidebar on mine.

It's definitely usable now.  I'm happy with yum for updates and when I
want to install a single known package, but if I'm browsing to solve a
problem I want to be able to look at options and read descriptions.  I
experimented with filtering to find a group of options, and it seemed
to work fine.  For this need yumex will be very useful, thanks.

Anne