YumEx problem

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Jan 19 20:56:41 UTC 2006

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Thursday 19 January 2006 10:44 am, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
>
>>1. Try installing the latest yumex devel from fedora-Extras.
>>(You will need to install yum 2.5.x from development)
>>
>>2. Disable 'Filelist & Changelog' from preferences
>>
>>3. Enable 'Best' Mirror detection in preferences.
>>
>>4. Enable 'Debug Mode' in Preferences to get more output.
>>
>>Tim
>

> Tim:
>
> Allow me to jump back in: I tried your suggestions, and they have made a big
> difference. In fact, on several tests just now, Yumex was much faster than
> KYum.
>
> A few comments/suggestions:
> People do package management in different ways. My style is to keep my base
> enabled repos only those closest to the Fedora project; base,
> updates-released, extras, and livna, with the addition of the KDE-Redhat
> repos; when I want something else, I have a number of repos ready to be
> quickly enabled - I enable those for the one task, and then disable - I do
> this a lot, however.
>
> I like the fact that KYum allows you to disable automatic checking on startup,
> select your repos by whichever method (profile or individually enabling),
> then click on the "List Available" button.
>
> Turning off automatic checking on startup in Yumex prefs seemed to take me
> nowhere. There was no way I could find to susequently list updates or
> available packages manually - did I miss something?
>
> A feature request: I know this is not the necessarily right place, but maybe
> others will have a comment. The thing I really liked about Synaptic's
> interface was that you could list all in one window - packages that were
> available, installed, and upgradeable, could all be seen in the one window.
> That makes all kinds of things easier and/or possible.
>
> Far as I know, there is no "Remove" function in Yumex - correct me if I'm
> wrong...
>
> Well, there's more I could say, but, maybe it's already too much. Your package
> is definitely getting better - thanks for the work.

Using yumex 0.44, I have the ability to remove under the remove icon
on the left of the screen.

Under Repos, I can select what repos I want to use and save that
profile for quick changes.  I normally just use the fedora repos but
every once in a while, I check the rest for updates.  I enable most if
I am looking for something particular.  Change the selected repos and
then press the Refresh button.