'GPL encumbrance problems'

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 21:57:55 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 15:23, David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) wrote:

> I really do see a need for a GPL-like restriction on creating true
> derivative works based on free software created by others.  I think the
> success of GPLed software in attracting developers shows that people are
> more willing to donate their time and effort if they know that someone
> else can't simply pick up whatever they have created, re-package it
> somehow and sell it.

That makes much more sense in the world of packagers selling
bundles and support than it does to a developer willing to give
his work away.  If you give something away, why wouldn't you
want it to be used in every possible way that is useful to
someone (more or less the *bsd philosophy)?  On the other
hand if you are selling support of you have a vested interest
in keeping something better than your own package from
becoming easily available.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com