Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Fri Jan 20 00:41:40 UTC 2006

Hi

[Not speaking on behalf of Red Hat or Fedora Project]

>Not sure how long you have been working with Red Hat Linux Andy.
>
>We used to have an alternative to pay for Red Hat Linux and
>support which was priced for small business and home use. That
>option was removed, and now we have to pony up for Red Hat
>Enterprise if we want a stable alternative from Red Hat.

If you mean a certified and commercially supported project then yes you
do have to pay for it. If you want just the software bits they are
available from Red Hat's online mirrors.

>The whole leach on the resources of Red Hat is totally worn out.
>We are providing Red Hat with a service, we are the test bed for
>the next version of Red Hat Enterprise.

See my other mail on details about this.

> If it were not for us
>they would not be able to provide ongoing stable releases of
>their Enterprise products.

Its a mutually beneficial relationship. You get a entirely free (in both
sense) cutting edge distribution every few months maintained by Red Hat.
Red Hat gets some feedback from the community which has a positive
effect on both Fedora and RHEL.

--
Rahul