Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 13:51:53 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 05:20, John Francis wrote:

> > > Hi mate, I have the VNC client, that's working fine.
> > >
> > > I made the changes to xorg.conf, but nothing seems to have happened. The
> > > thing is, I'm running over SSH, is there a service I can restart in order to
> > > get VNC listening?
> >

> Easiest way to do it:
>   - ssh to linux box
>   - type "vncserver"
>   - note the display number that it just started on
>   - connect with your vncviewer to linuxbox:displaynumber (probably 1)
>
> To get the usual gnome desktop, read ~/.vnc/xstartup and uncomment the
> relevant line.

Vncserver gives you one or more independent X screens that
you can access only though vncviewer.  Adding the vnc
module to xorg.conf lets you connect to the running
console session (screen 0).  Sometimes you want one
or the other.  You also need to set a password ether
way.  It is also possible to have xinetd start new
vnc sessions as you connect which can be handy for
remote multiuser access.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com