YumEx problem

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Jan 20 16:35:53 UTC 2006

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Thursday 19 January 2006 3:56 pm, Robin Laing wrote:
>
>>Using yumex 0.44, I have the ability to remove under the remove icon
>>on the left of the screen.
>>

> Guess you missed my followup - you're right - it was staring me in the face...
>

>>Under Repos, I can select what repos I want to use and save that
>>profile for quick changes.  I normally just use the fedora repos but
>>every once in a while, I check the rest for updates.  I enable most if
>>I am looking for something particular.  Change the selected repos and
>>then press the Refresh button.
>
> I have profiles set up, myself. I pretty much operate the way you describe. My
> big objection was the extremely long time it took to do whatever it did at
> the outset. Anne reported 18 minutes on her system, before Yumex was ready to
> do something. In this mornings test, it took over 5 minutes on my system.
> After doing what Tim suggested, we both have experienced greatly reduced
> startup times.
>
> I still hope for more functionality in the window listings. I would like to
> see a list that includes everything that's available, including what's
> installed on my system (marked so), for any given set of repos. When
> installing packages from source, which I do a lot, because packages aren't
> available for FC4, it makes it very easy to check for dependency availablity,
> and what might be entailed if a package containing a dependency is installed.
> On my agenda is to learn how to make rpm packages from source, but I must
> wait for some time to devote to that.

In the past, I have used checkinstall to install most homemade
compiles.  This creates an rpm of the package and then you install the
rpm.  Now the package works like a normal RPM.

I find that most applications I am looking for I can find from one of
the many repositories.  But then comes the issues with how they make
their packages.  Some have some weird requirements that I don't like
and in the past I have come to avoid those repositories.

I do agree that the interface needs cleaning.  It would be nice if
there were three selection columns for updates, install and remove,
which were all sortable.  But until that date...

I find that 5 minutes is normal.  I find that most of the time is
determining the mirror to use.  I have to play with it as our IT
department has setup some local mirrors.

Yumex is still better than having to get a full list via CLI and then
sorting it out.