How to delete all local mail

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jan 20 20:48:58 UTC 2006

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> My /var/spool/mail/$username file seems to be corrupted, it is over 500
> MB, how do I purge it? Is it safe to just delete the file?

You can ether delete it, or run
"cat /dev/null > /var/spool/mail/$username".

If you just delete it, you may want to re-create it. It should be
re-created by the mail program, but I have run into a few setups
that do not for some reason. You can create an empty file after
you delete it by running "touch /var/spool/mail/$username". If you
run it as root, you will have to change ownership afterwards.

Mikkel