Blurry monitor on FC4

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 20 22:48:59 UTC 2006

From: "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com>
> On 1/20/06, jdow <jdow at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> From: "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com154>

>> > I think that I selected it during the install. In Control Center ->
>> > Periferia -> Display (translated) I can set the screen resolution and
>> > refresh rate ( 1024*768 , 85 mHz). But I see no mention of the model.
>>
>> That hurts to look at. There is no 85 milli Hertz vertical sweep rate.
>> Nor, for that matter, is there an 85 mega Hertz vertical or horizontal
>> sweep rate. That would be 85 Hz I suspect.
>>
>> > I provided the screen shot to see if my fonts are bad- I know that
>> > there are anti-aliased and aliased fonts. Of course, what you see when
>> > you look at the screen shot is what you would see if you connected
>> > your monitor to my machine- not what I see on my monitor. I just
>> > wanted to eliminte the possibility that I may have misconfigured the
>> > fonts or something.
>>
>> On the XP machine what anti-aliasing mode is in use? How does that compare
>> with the FC4 machine's settings? (For that matter how to the basic monitor
>> settings compare?) There is little or nothing that video drivers can do
>> to turn you video blurry aside from anti-aliasing settings. So I'd look to
>> hardware issues. Cheap video cables come to mind. Different video cards
>> will have different response as well. An old video card pushed to as high
>> a frequency and resolution as it can handle will often be blurry. Even
>> running video through some KVMs can lead to blurriness.
>> {^_^}
>>

> I just poked around a bit in the winbox's Control Panel and could not
> find anti-aliasing settings. Nor in KDE Contol Center. They both are

XP: Right click on the desktop. Select properties. Select appearance
tab. Select "Effects" button. Note the "Use the following method to
smooth edges of screen fonts." Is it checked? Is it clear-type (a tad
blurrier to me) or standard?

KDE: Taskbar->"Desktop"->Preferences->Font. There is an amazing number
of subtle font smoothing options presented, especially if you hit the
small 'details' button. You might experiment with them.

Gnome: Who uses Gnome?

{^_^}