FC-4 Wireless Problem

Teilhard Knight teilhk at softhome.net
Sat Jan 21 06:19:24 UTC 2006

>> > What kind of wireless adaptor is it?
>>

>> It's the Linksys WUSB11 Ver. 2.6, with the Atmel chip. Fedora recognizes
>> it
>> out of the box, and installs the right driver. It works without a single
>> problem in Mandriva, and of course, WinXP.
>>

>>  I've got an Intel IPW2915ABG in my
>> > Thinkpad T43.  I get exactly the same message on boot, but it seems to
>> > be harmless and I can connect anyway.  This started happening in driver
>> > 1.0.8 I think...
>>
>> Do you think it is possible to downgrade?
>>
>> > Are you sure you're not connected after seeing this message? Does
>> > iwconfig report that you are not associated with an access point?
>>

>> Positive. I'll tell you later what iwconfig says after the "failed"
>> outcome,
>> because I am responding from Window$.
>>

>> > Best regards,
>> >
>> > Alastair
>> >
>> > P.S. cc: me if you reply
>>
>> Of course.
>>
>> teilhard.
>>

> Hi Teilhard,
>
> Is it this type of chipset? Atmel at76c50x?

Yes, it is the at76c503 driver.

> I see its in the mainline kernel.  Makes a module called atmel.ko.
> Have you got the correct firmware image in /lib/firmware or somewhere
> similar?
>
> This website seems to have the firmware images for the at76c50x (and
> probably some newer ones, i didnt check)
>
> http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/atmel

I do not follow you. Do I need the image? Could you explain to me what's a
firmware image and then whether I need it to connect?

> Also did you try "/sbin/iwconfig wlan0 key open" before entering the
> network key?  I think it probably defaults to open but I do it in my
> configuration.

Yes, in my case it defaulted to open, but I'll do what you say and see.

I have the configuration file ifcfg-wlan0 in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts,
and it seems the network configuration utility made it correctly. The thing
is that if I got the error we have been talking about, and then when it's
time to get the IP information I got it "done", I would be connected, but I
always get: "failed". Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

Teilhard.