Is this real or spam

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Jan 21 03:24:00 UTC 2006

Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
>

>>Does/Must substantial support always mean money?
>

> Not in general, but in this case I was writing, in the context of money,
> about IRS rules that define exactly what substantial support means. If you
> want more info, google for 'public support test irs'.
>

>>What about those who have invested their time and efforts into testing,
>>using, et al, etc. ?

I'm one who told E he's not getting any of my money any time soon, but I
am sympathetic to the cause.

Since then, I have been thinking on the subject, and thinking of sending
my thoughts to Elliot.

Asking for donations is one thing.
Asking for donations/sponsorship to achieve some specific goal is
another. Charities like donations at any time, but if they hold an
appeal to "give Christmas hampers to the poor" then the result is quite
different from if they have an appeal "because we need money."

Probably, Xen is a better example, but I've actually played with parted
recently and found some deficiencies:
Here is one of its commands:

mkpart part-type [fs-type] start end

Start and end are numbers, and the user must calculate them. It would be
nice, I think, for one to have the option of using, maybe NEXT (or +0),
in place of the starting number, and be able to specify size (maybe +10
for 10 Mbytes), and a few similar niceties. Also, it doesn't resize NTFS
(but ntfsresize does), or copy extended partitions. Someone might be
interested in paying some dollars to have this done where they would not
contribute for "general work." I imagine Andrew Clausen would welcome
the funding.

--

Cheers
John