Installing Samsung SCX-4521F

Rick Sutphin sutphinc at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 22 03:44:01 UTC 2006

Hello,

I purchased a Samsung SCX-4521F multifunction Laser printer. Though the
box says the printer works under Linux, and comes with a Linux
installer, I have been unable to get the printer to work.

I suspect that the problem is due to the printer not being correctly
configured in hotplug and udev (the printer is only supported under
USB), but I do not know how to correctly configure it.

According to the configuration GUI that comes with the program, the
printer should be connected to /dev/mfpN, where is N = 4 through 11.

#ls /dev/mfp*

returns no results indicating that the above devices do not exist,
though

#lsmod

indicates that a module named mfpport is loaded.

#cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

indicates that the printer is using the usblp driver.

I think that the following needs to be done:
1. the printer added to hotplug
2. hotplug configured so that it associates the printer with the correct
driver (mfpport?)
3. udev set up so that it will create the needed /dev/mfpN nodes

Unfortunately, I don't know how to do the above and have not been able
to google anything useful.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick