sha1sum for Windows XP; shell choices

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Jan 22 05:52:24 UTC 2006

John Summerfied wrote:

> Robert L Cochran wrote:
>
>> A friend of mine who wants to install Fedora Core 4 for the first
>> time is wondering if the sha1sum program can be used from Microsoft
>> Windows XP. Can it?
>

> Not unless he (or his helper) can build it for Windows. Likely Google
> can find the binaries.

Thanks. I found it here: ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/sha1sum.exe
and passed it on to the friend.

>> Also, can the friend install a different shell than bash?
>

> He can. Why does he want to? (they're all fairly unfriendly to
> beginners), and cmd.exe from Windows probably won't help.

I'm guessing that my friend is quite familiar with shell programming
under DOS/Windows. So I would think he wants to dabble with shell
programming in *nix, too, and would like to try the different shells
available.

Thanks

Bob Cochran