Sendmail and security

Markku Kolkka markkuk at tuubi.net
Sun Jan 22 12:45:43 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika sunnuntai, 22.
tammikuuta 2006 13:57):
> A " has remarked that I should uninstall
> sendmail. <quote> Sendmail simply has too many security issues
> to leave it on any machine. </quote>

Exactly which "security issues"? References? CERT Advisory
numbers?
I guess the "user of another distro" has read this article from
year 2003:
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=8228/sam0306a/0306a.htm
and imagines no development has been done in the last 2.5 years

> Surely a box kept up to date would not have those security
> issues.

Correct. Acording to CERT: " There have been a number of
vulnerabilities identified over the years in sendmail(8). To the
best of our knowledge, the current version of sendmail addresses
those known vulnerabilities."
http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/unix_configuration_guidelines.html#A5

--
 Markku Kolkka